Congratulations to Alumni Daniel Sontag on Winning First Emmy Award
Daniel Sontag, a Digital Video Alumnus who attended UAT from 2005-2009, won his first Emmy in the Lone Star Regional Emmy’s for the Promotion/ Program Award category on October 15, 2016.
Daniel works as a Manager of Brand Marketing at NBC 5 Dallas/Fort Worth, which is the fifth largest market in the United States, which means their viewership is very saturated and has a loyal audience.
NBC 5 DFW’s veteran Chief Meteorologist David Frinfrock has been with the station for 40 years, but has plans to retire in a few years. To welcome new meteorologist Rick Mitchell to the team, and build trust with generations of viewers, Daniel created this promo as a fun introduction as to how they selected Rick as David’s replacement.
Daniel wrote and co-directed The Voice Meteorologist Edition, a 1-minute promotional spot combining NBC5′s Weather team in a parody of NBC’s biggest show The Voice where perspective weather talent pitched the weather forecast to experts.
Daniel said because NBC 5 DFW is owned by Comcast Universal, it’s possible to cross promote with other network shows, such as The Voice. It gives the audience a sense of familiarity and builds trust within the community. That was Daniel’s strategy behind this promotional piece.
After hearing the news that he won an Emmy, Daniel immediately sent a group text message to UAT Professors’ Sharon Bolman and Paul DeNigris to thank them.
Professor Sharon Bolman fondly remembers when Daniel was a student at UAT.
Sharon said, “Daniel epitomizes the life long learner. He is eternally curious and never assumes that he knows it all. He came to UAT with impressive acting and makeup skills, but still took classes in these subjects with a genuine enthusiasm and an open mind. He could always be counted on to ask questions and take criticism which catapulted his projects to the next level. Also, he is a wonderful human being. We are very proud of Daniel!”
Daniel’s industry work experience:
- Manager, Brand Marketing – KXAS | NBC 5 DFW – NBCUniversal, Inc., Dallas/ Fort Worth, TX
- Creative / Promotions Director – KVII-TV | ABC 7 / CW 11 – Sinclair Broadcast Group, Amarillo, TX
- Commercial / Promotion Producer – KVII-TV | ABC 7 / CW 11 – Barrington Broadcasting, Amarillo, TX
- Media and Marketing Director – Hale Centre Theatre Arizona, Gilbert, AZ
- Freelance Video Production – Sontag Media
- Media Director – The Arab American Association
- Media Director – UNIQ Media
- Executive Producer / Director / Videographer / Editor – The Casting Call.TV/ Destination.TV
See some highlights of Daniel’s work:
- Texas Thunder Truck “Middle of the Action” – 2016
- Same Commitment, New Technology - 2016
- PCS Kia Optima Bull – 2015
- Get Pade Trailer – UAT Digital Video Film – 2013 (Starring Jeff Skiba Directed / Edited by Daniel Sontag Written by Evan Sprague Director of Photography Ryan Loveland)
- The Making of Cowboy Dreams – Ep. 1 – 2013 (Behind the scenes of the short film, Cowboy Dreams starring Bill Engvall and Danny Trejo. (2010) Grip / BTS Camera Daniel Sontag)